What Light

September 21st, 2008

I realized today that part of the reason I’m so jazzed about fall is that it’s my first real autumn since 2004. 2004! I was in the Floridian purgatory since then, and to be honest, I’d almost entirely forgotten. I feel like I should take myself apple picking to celebrate or at least do something quintessentially autumnal. Perhaps a bonfire is in order. (By the way, Adam hates picking fruit. Hates. It’s this very strange thing of his. Anything labeled “pick your own” is wholly unappealing to him. He likes things professionally picked. Perhaps he doesn’t trust his own fruit instincts.)

Still medicated to the hilt over here, but tonight, I made dinner. A WHOLE DINNER. I mean, it was basically American chop suey and garlic bread — nothing remotely gourmet — but my God, I handled raw sausage and used my oven. An oven, by the way, that I had completely forgotten to operate. Completely. I couldn’t even figure out how to turn it on, and was almost in tears at one point, because JESUS, I COOKED ALL THIS STUFF and I couldn’t even bake it properly. Underuse or pregnancy brain? I’m honestly not sure.

The line, however, was drawn in the sand at sauteed onions and peppers. I actually chopped them and began the cooking process, only to find that I wasn’t quite up for them, and may never be again. Like, ever. Oh dear God, GET THEM AWAY GET THEM AWAY. RUN RUN RUN.

Sadly, that was my biggest thrill this weekend. I cooked dinner. Uh, hooray? How about some pictures instead, you boring-ass woman, you?

TAKING YOUR OWN BELLY PICTURES IN THREE ACTS
Subtitle: It’s surprisingly difficult and totally frustrating!

The Beginning (Also known as “Blurry Amusement with Bad Lighting and Misplaced Focus”)
Amused

The Beginning of the End (Alternate title: “How I Manage to Be Totally Annoyed, Taking Crooked Photos and Yet LOOKING AT MYSELF Being Totally Annoyed and Pushing the Button Anyway!”)
Not Amused

The End (Also known as “Oh Wait! There’s a Self-timer Function! Except There is Nowhere to Put the Camera But on the Dryer!”)
Self-timed

Also, hey, you know what’s unfair? The roll. You see it there? The bottom ROLL? The belly pooch most women have? IT DOES NOT GO AWAY, LIKE FOR A REALLY LONG TIME, even when your belly is growing! I should also say for the sake of my own vanity that this was taken at the end of the day, just after a meal of uh, American chop suey, garlic bread and maybe a dessert of one of those Betty Crocker Warm Delights in Molten Caramel, but I’m not admitting to anything.

And finally, because I almost forgot, it’s a virtual wedding shower for Jess! Hi, I’m late and totally awful about EVERYTHING, but a real, live wedding gift is winging its way to you. May you have a warm, wonderful marriage full of all of the best that life has to offer. I can truly say that marriage has made my life better by an infinite amount. I am certain it will do the same for you. xo

Happy Monday!

*Wilco. Because uh, I am very bad with the lighting. And the camera. And should not have anything but a point and shoot.

• 1. Jess  |  September 21st, 2008 at 5:36 pm

The belly, it is gorgeous! As are you!

And thank you so much for the wishes! And I am excited for the wedding gift. You are too, too sweet.

• 2. Alice  |  September 21st, 2008 at 5:39 pm

normally a shy lurker here, but!

a) i love your belly pictures. i suspect this + my sudden desire to lick all infants that i see might mean this “biological clock” i keep hearing about is finally kicking in.

b) real live pictures of jess’s shower! i has them! here!

• 3. Mandee  |  September 21st, 2008 at 5:51 pm

I love the pictures! I’ve been trying to take some pictures for the Working Closet and have new admiration for the successful self-portrait.

• 4. slynnro  |  September 21st, 2008 at 5:52 pm

YAY! Pictures.

And it’s nothing new, but I love your hair.

• 5. Swistle  |  September 21st, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Look at you, Cuteness! And about the little roll: I KNOW, RIGHT??? I thought mine would stretch out first, so I’d be all smooth, BUT NO.

• 6. pseudostoops  |  September 21st, 2008 at 6:30 pm

(I’m with Alice- longtime lurker, first(?) time commenter. Your participation in our little shower for Jess and Torsten has emboldened me. Thanks for participating! Woohoo shower!)

You are adorable, and I particularly like the second picture: “maybe if I look exasperated people will think I’m really above all this picture taking nonsense, and they will perhaps overlook the fact that I am doing this to myself.” I have engaged in the exact same self-portrait process. (Well, minus the baby part. But with the roll part. I am distressed to learn that pregnancy doesn’t immediately get rid of the roll part, as I was rather looking forward to that.)

• 7. Kristi  |  September 21st, 2008 at 6:58 pm

You look so cute – even annoyed. Congrats on making the dinner – and the eating part!

• 8. dissed  |  September 21st, 2008 at 7:01 pm

That’s a fine-looking belly, and the roll WILL smooth out. Then you’ll have a few weeks before your belly button turns inside out. But that’s another day. Great photos!

• 9. kirida  |  September 21st, 2008 at 7:35 pm

My belly was an awkward curve/roll PLUS I had a brown line shooting up the middle. But you are so beautiful, Jonna. Please post more belly pics!

• 10. Trina  |  September 21st, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Beautiful belly and beautiful you!!! I tend to love other peoples’ children; this may be the earliest onset of that emotion. Love!

• 11. Danell  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 4:14 am

What roll? Ahem, I don’t see any roll, only a cute pregnant belly! With a cute belly button!

• 12. claire  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 5:30 am

My mother tells a story about how when she was pregnant with me, she got inspired to make moussaka from scratch (we’re not greek, so i’m not sure what made her want to do this). She says that the smell of cooking eggplant made her so nauseous that she had to stick her head out the kitchen window while she was trying to put it all together. She couldn’t eat it then, nor for a good 10 or 15 years after i was born. Good for you for actually being able to make something like chop suey, but yeah, apparently you may never want to eat it ever again.
    You look adorable!

• 13. TwoBusy  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 5:57 am

Sorry to hear of Adam’s seething hatred of hands-on fruit experiences. For our part, we went apple picking this weekend (Nashoba Valley Winery!) and had a great time.

On a positive note, HUGE congrats on successfully preparing, eating and keeping down something approximating real food. This is a big step! With any luck, your digestive system will be up and running at full speed by the time Thanksgiving rolls around.

• 14. Lawyerish  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 6:07 am

I am cracking up over Adam’s distaste for pick-your-own fruit places. It’s just….it’s SO him.

And you’re such a freaking doll. Hooray for belly pics!

• 15. annabanana  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 8:26 am

The first pic tells me you’re having a girl. Not sure if you’ll share that news with us when you get it; but that’s my vote. And oh how cute cute with the belly. It will fill out and get oh so firm you’ll be able to bounce quarters off it. If you’re into that sort of thing.
    Thanks for the pics!! And I promise my gently used maternity clothes are coming to your doorstep soon.
    Love,
    Banana

• 16. mar  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 10:54 am

so,so cute! as you are in every picture i’ve seen of you.
    i’m not much on knowledge of pregnancy stages. are you carrying kinda high or is it just so early on?
    also, *blush* don’t really know exactly what chop suey entails? have heard it numerous times, but um, don’t know what it is. sausage? onions? peppers?

• 17. ZestyJenny  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 11:20 am

Ah, yes, the roll. I found mine to be mostly smoothed out by 22 weeks or so. But even now, at 28, *I* know it’s there. It seems like it doesn’t show, but I can tell that it makes my belly have a tad more squareish shape then it otherwise might.

But roll, schmoll! You are beautiful and so is your perfect belly!

I, also, love your hair. You are one hot mama.

• 18. jonniker  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 11:43 am

Aww, y’all are too nice. Thank you.

I feel compelled to point out, however, that the glow you’re all referring to is, hand to God, MAC Margin blush. ‘Tis not me.

• 19. Jen W.  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 11:50 am

Such cute photos and your hair is awesome.

• 20. H  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Cute – and exciting! Isn’t it amazing there’s a little PERSON in there?!

• 21. Amanda Brown  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 1:12 pm

You look fantastic! (This coming from a fellow bottom-roll gal. Mine stuck around until week 28 or so. Seriously, what’s with that?!)

• 22. Cassie  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 1:41 pm

You look ADORABLE! And I, too, had the bottom roll. You’re right, it seriously sticks around. I think mine was gone at about 24 weeks…so you have THAT to look forward to!

• 23. Angella  |  September 22nd, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Hooray for the belly shots!!

You look absolutely amazing. It is so awesome to see you in your pregnant glory.

• 24. samantha jo campen  |  September 23rd, 2008 at 11:43 am

Congrats on dinner! That’s a HUGE accomplishment! It’s the small things, really.

And I lurv the pics. I was wondering when we’d get to see some. Squee!

• 25. elise  |  September 23rd, 2008 at 12:22 pm