Smells Like Teen Spirit

October 31st, 2008

Hi! Still swamped out the behind with stuff related to the move and finding a tenant. All great, relaxing stuff for a mother-to-be. Seriously, whatever happened to the days of the first “What to Expect…” book, when all pregnant ladies could be expected to do was lounge in calico in a rocking chair, knitting booties for her future progeny?

Progress. Sigh. Sometimes it ruins some really great stuff.

Anyway, in case you’ve ever wondered what I do as a freelancer, I’ll tell you, at least in part: I write copy for a few folks in the perfume industry. Thrilling! I know! But after being an avid collector for my whole life, it’s nice to be able to put my sniffing skills to some use that actually makes money instead of bleeding it out. Of course, that doesn’t mean that I don’t love dispensing fragrant advice whenever anyone asks, so when Work It! Mom invited me to post on the topic, I gleefully accepted.

So! If in these downward, eye-stabbingly uncertain times, you’re yearning for a pick-me-up scent that is perfectly you, feel free to visit my post over there. In case you were wondering, I also tell you how to get it cheap. You know, because who the hell is flush with extra cash right now?

Here it is.

In other news, I’m clutching my bowels in anticipation of this election. Frankly, I’m exhausted of the constant complaints from people who would, in fact, benefit quite readily from Obama’s tax plan acting as though he’s going to be ripping money from their pockets with a ginsu knife and handing out to poor, drunk people in the street. The idea that his plan is Marxist is laughable to me, and a frustrating, lame attempt at terrifying people into thinking we’re going to become World War II-era Germany, with long lines for potatoes and meat rations. I’m not ruling that scenario out, but I believe it’s much less likely under Obama than it is under McCain, and that it would have little to do with Obama’s economic policies, and more to do with the inherited clusterfuck of unparalleled proportions that we’re trying in vain to dig ourselves out of.

I’m also a little sick of hearing how I can’t possibly understand economics, or I wouldn’t be voting for him. Newsflash: there is more than one viable economic theory out there! And I might not subscribe to yours! AND THAT IS OKAY! The days of Reaganomics, my friends, are over, in my opinion. Over. Dead. Done. Rome is burning, and we could really use a competent fire extinguisher, rather than more kerosene in the form of the indefinite continuation of the Bush tax cuts.

Again, this is just my opinion. But it is an informed one, as I’m sure yours is, even if it’s different from mine, and I’m cool with that, really I am. This is why we’re all granted the right to vote. Go us. (And you know, go Obama! Or the candidate of your choice, but I’ll leave that cheerleading to you!)

In case I don’t talk to you before the election (I probably will, seeing as I cannot stop talking, despite having a lot to do), do your thing, whatever it is, and go out and vote!

Happy weekend!

*Nirvana.

• 1. -R-  |  October 31st, 2008 at 10:33 am

FYI, my friend with a Ph.D. in Economics is voting for Obama.

There are studies that show something like 40% of people think they are in the top 5% of wage-earners. So have those same people deluded themselves into thinking they make over $250,000? I don’t understand.

• 2. jonniker  |  October 31st, 2008 at 10:42 am

R, it never dawned on me that people think they make that much. Seriously. I always assumed it was people buying the rhetoric that he wants to be a modern-day Robin Hood and steal from the rich(er), and give to the poor bastards on drugs.

I mean, have you SEEN what some people are saying? It’s BAFFLING. People are actually saying that they’re worried he’s going to take their income away and, “they don’t have it to give!”

Uh, oookay. Or people who are equating taxes with charity, like the woman I argued with from high school. I … wow. Mystifying. That … that’s not how it works. To make that leap is quite a stretch, especially from someone who doesn’t fall into the higher tax bracket. But perhaps these folks would rather continue to see jobs outsourced overseas, fueling economies other than our own?

• 3. Hollylynne  |  October 31st, 2008 at 11:08 am

Hear, hear!!! I too am exhausted from arguing the sensibility of Obama’s tax plan. Nobody in my extended family (the American side, anyhow) makes enough money to vote Republican with a straight face . . . but vote Republican they will.

I just hope there are enough of us out there who intend to vote the other way, because I do believe we will wade out of this economic crisis far more efficiently under an Obama administration than we would under a McCain administration.

The trouble with Republican style free market capitalism is that it assumes people are basically fair and good and that in good times they will spread their wealth around by paying their employees more and by spending more. If things ACTUALLY worked that way sure, I’d see some sense in the Republican economic point of view. But things don’t exactly, and so long as money keeps getting lodged at the top, I can’t see the point in supporting a tax plan that will help keep it there.

• 4. Allison  |  October 31st, 2008 at 11:34 am

There is a woman who we traveled with to China (who I, incidentally, have removed from my Google Reader) who has made it her mission to spread the word that Obama is evil and that people are calling him a savior and therefore, he must be the antiChrist. Uh,wha? Is she KIDDING? I just could not bear to read her poorly written posts any longer so POOF! She’s gone.

• 5. Emily  |  October 31st, 2008 at 11:42 am

But doesn’t anyone else find it so IRRITATING that people are acting like whoever wins is going to waltz right into office and MAKE the exact cuts they’re proposing? I mean, it has to go through the LEGISLATURE FIRST. It’s not like whoever wins is going to enact some brand-new tax plan on January 21, and it’s entirely possible that the tax plan a new president proposes could be completely modified when and if it goes into law. I understand voting with the person who reflects your ideals the most, I certainly do. But I feel like people are kind of setting themselves up to be let down a little – a candidate’s proposed tax plan might sound FABULOUS and WONDERFUL, but the reality is, it might not happen that way.

• 6. Angella  |  October 31st, 2008 at 11:42 am

Obama as the AntiChrist? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I won’t get all “Biblical”, but North America isn’t even mentioned in the Bible. Someone needs to read their Bible.

But yay for perfume! I am now bound and determined to find a fragrance. You know…in my free time. Heh.

• 7. jonniker  |  October 31st, 2008 at 12:05 pm

OH MY GOD EMILY YES.

I said the very same thing about healthcare. Dude, no one is going to implement their EXACT HEALTHCARE PLAN. NO ONE. THERE ARE CHECKS AND BALANCES IN OUR GOVERNMENT. What we will end up with is something in the middle. IF we’re lucky. But stuff like that will take a backseat to other, more pressing issues.

Did people forget that? Do people not know how government WORKS? I mean, dude, I know that there is the possibility for a unified Democratic government, but still. People have OPINIONS. And they will DIFFER FROM OBAMA’S SOMETIMES. OMFG. GAH.

• 8. Emily  |  October 31st, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I thought I should just add my perfume of choice, in case anyone is looking: Marc Jacobs. MMMMMMMMM. It’s like, the only thing I get compliments on, the last one I received being from the guy who did my return at Target the other day, who said “WOW you smell really good.” At least I have that going for me.

• 9. H  |  October 31st, 2008 at 12:35 pm

I’m 100% with you on Obama but also with the novel concept that Emily noted, which is that neither Obama or McCain will become an all-powerful dictator. This is a democracy (albeit sometimes a corrupt one) and while it isn’t perfect, whoever wins cannot enact their policies in one giant sweeping change. I read elsewhere online that someone thinks Obama will completely wipe out all free speech, revoking the licenses of radio stations if they broadcast anti-Obama ads. REALLY?!

I honestly believe the most irrational, negative, spendy campaigns are those of Al Franken and Norm Coleman over here in Minnesota. Again, one of them will be a senator — that’s it. A senator who will have ONE vote just like all the other senators. And the flack Franken is taking for his SNL skits is unreal. It was his JOB and I don’t think it is relevant at all. Disagree with his platform? Fine. Base your vote on the fact that he used to write for SNL? Ridiculous.

I have a love/hate relationship with this election season.

• 10. Anyabeth  |  October 31st, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Oh WORD. My husband’s employer said that he will discontinue health benefits if Obama wins. Even though he would get a tax credit for paing those benefits that he doesn’t get now. And (probably with poor judgement) I laughed openly because dude doesn’t give benefits because he is a nice guy but because that is how he attracts employees.

Douche.

• 11. Jamie  |  October 31st, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I, for one, am loving all the FULL CAPS COMMENTS. They make me laugh. Needless to say, I am Pro-bama.

The feeling I have regarding the upcoming election is somewhat akin to that dreadful-yet-wonderful tear of adrenaline that rushes through your body when you accidentally take the car over a hilly road too fast. Only it’s constant, and after all this campaigning, I must say I’m becoming a bit nauseous.

• 12. Donna  |  October 31st, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Not to totally change the subject or anything, but why aren’t we seeing a picture of Sunny in costume?

I’m pretty sure the election outcome has been determined. I will be shocked (SHOCKED!) if Obama doesn’t win.

• 13. Mauigirl52  |  October 31st, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I can’t wait for this election to be over,. Love the expression “clutching my bowels” – pretty apt description of how I feel. I totally agree with your frustration at these people who don’t understand that Obama’s plan would be HELPING them. And if I hear about Joe the Plumber one more time I won’t be responsible for my actions.

The polls are all looking good but I am still going to be terrified of some weird upset or voter suppression that will turn the tables at the last minute, until all the votes are counted. I’m crossing fingers and toes and knocking on wood daily until Nov. 4th.

• 14. Lippy  |  November 1st, 2008 at 8:09 am

I am tired of people saying that Obama supporters haven’t done any research or we wouldn’t vote for him. Yes, we have researched, and we like him better! Also, tired of people saying he is nationalizing healthcare, and that will ruin everything. I know, letting all people have access to medical care will really screw it up for the rest of us. Much bowel clutching in our house.

• 15. Erin  |  November 1st, 2008 at 10:55 am

I am very excited for WEDNESDAY when all of the fracking political ads will be over. Oregon is having a heated Senate race and the ads that are flying back and forth are completely ridiculous. They look like they were written by high school students who wanted to play a joke on their teacher.

I’m an Obama supporter as well and oh the diatribe I could go off on if this were my own blog! Let me just say that while I am all about Obama, my fiance’s father is a (no kidding) Conservative Texan Vietnam Vet Conspiracy Theorist. Imagine how much fun it is to talk with that guy on the phone. He refuses to believe that Obama is even intelligent because he once stuttered during a press interview. I wish I was exaggerating.

Also, for Mauigirl, I have a new campaign slogan: “Eff Joe the Plumber.” :)

• 16. Meggie  |  November 2nd, 2008 at 10:04 am

Unrelated to Obama ( er, I’m assuming )….just saw you’re having a Daughter! Congrats to you, Jonna! : )

• 17. Danell  |  November 2nd, 2008 at 1:30 pm

On the other hand, it’s not very fair to assume everyone who doesn’t have an overwhelming admiration for the welfare system is an uneducated hick drawing unwarranted conclusions about some of those folks receiving welfare. Perhaps a little revamping of the current system would help those folks out that really do need it even more than simply putting more money into it. Just…well, just saying.

And I, too, would love to see if you got Sunny into a Halloween costume this year…you know, in all of your free time?

• 18. jonniker  |  November 2nd, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Danell: Yeah, but that’s what I’m saying — the conversation/tax discussion has nothing to do with welfare, yet somehow with so many people, it equates to exactly that. In the conversation with the woman in question the other day, we weren’t talking about it either — we were talking about economics in general. Personally, I don’t know anyone who thinks the welfare system is perfect, or hasn’t had a really weird experience seeing someone do something … questionable while on it, and think, really? Is … is THAT what the system was designed for?

And one really has nothing to do with the other.

But I think that’s where a lot of these conversations go horribly awry, because every time this topic comes up, it suddenly turns into various politicians plugging free welfare for everyone, which has little to do with the topic, but it somehow degenerates to that. There are these vast blanket statements made about both candidates (and supporters of those candidates) that are weirdly off-base and have nothing to do with the issues in question, really.

Palin’s burning books in the streets, McCain’s got Iraq occupied into the year 3000, and Obama would really be pleased if no one had to work and we all leeched off of the Warrnen Buffetts of the world.

None of them are true. And not every Democrat is against welfare reform, nor does a different economic plan mean that we’re all saying that people who live in poverty shouldn’t have to work their way out of it, but just sit back and chill for a while, you know?

Also, note: Sunny didn’t get costume this year, as we’re moving and everything is, sadly, packed. We were total Halloween Scrooges.

• 19. Danell  |  November 2nd, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Oh, I wasn’t really trying to make a politcal statement…just pointing out that accusations on either side of the argument don’t seem to be fair. I mean, “the tax discussion has nothing to do with welfare” is a far cry from the “no one abuses the welfare system and you are an ignorant moron for thinking such a thing!” type comments that fly back and forth.

I suppose a bigger point (just for myself) would be that the arguments that I do hear (the RELEVENT arguments) on the Republican side actually make a lot of sense to me…and they aren’t in the context that I see which frequently depicts them to be along the lines of “the Republicans I know are just worried that Obama is going to take all of their money!”

Really, I’m not arguing…I’ll just be glad when it’s all over! =)