Same

December 22nd, 2008

You know what they say about Vermont! If you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes!

I don’t know actually know if they say that about Vermont, but what I DO know is that they say it about the weather EVERYFREAKINGWHERE, and my did you know that? Did you know that saying is not just about where you live, and that, as it turns out, the weather is UNPREDICTABLE ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY?

Hmph. That sure does sound like I’m crabby, which I’m really not. It’s that I just read that statement about the Midwest/Pac Northwest/somewhere and I just about died, because I have lived many, many places up and down the eastern seaboard, and they say it about EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

Incidentally, it’s hard not to know what they say about Vermont, because it is likely along the lines of this: it’s cold. Like, colder than you’ve ever been. See also: snowy. Like, every day.

I know, too, that most of you throughout the country have been enduring similar weather, and while I hate to laugh, it has been a LITTLE funny watching everyone screech how they’re SO SICK OF SNOW, when we’ve been dealing with this since October and will likely be entrenched in it until May. So please, do not talk to me about being sick of snow, for while I am not yet sick of it (it’s pretty! and kind of quaint!), I know I will have endured much, much more than most of you by the time the winter — nay, SPRING — is out.

However, I will concede that Vermont, like Syracuse, is all over that shit when it comes to plowing, and despite getting the crap kicked out of us yesterday, by morning we were totally free and clear. There’s something to be said for being prepared, unlike, say, Seattle, where buses were driving off of highways because no one knew what to do, OMG PANIC SNOW WOOP WOOP WOOP.

So yeah. We have plows and salt trucks and EVERYONE has a four-wheel drive vehicle and/or snow tires and you guys who aren’t used to snow don’t. I get that. Whine away! But if you live in a snowy part of the country and are surprised? I … what? I AM MYSTIFIED BY YOU.

By the way, in light of all the snow we’re all getting, I am once again compelled to plug the world’s greatest boots: the Ugg Bandon which, while ugly, is the most functional, warm, comfortably waterproof boot I have ever worn in my life. It’s been FREEZING here, and we’ve had many, many feet of snow, and not once have my feets been anything but snuggled and dry. And while I hate to recommend anything overwhelmingly expensive (which these are, I know, especially for something hideous), they are worth it. But sadly, it appears to be … oh my God, in looking for a link for you, I discovered that the Bandon has been DISCONTINUED. WOE. So, uh, maybe the Summit?

WOE.

Speaking of Vermont, we attended a party on Saturday night wherein the hosts — clearly of the, uh, well-off sort — commissioned a few clydesdales to take guests on sleigh ride tours of their expansive twinkly-lit property, not unlike the White Witch in the Chronicles of Narnia. Yes, CLYDESDALES.

Vermont continues to amaze and befuddle me with its delightfully incongruous juxtaposition of simple living and glaring excess.

We’re in the final preparations for the holidays, which will be spent with my sister and parents, as we never have to juggle Adam’s family and mine which is, as I’ve mentioned, one of the many benefits of a mixed-faith marriage. I always get Christmas, even if it coincides with Hanukkah, as his family celebrates the holiday at Thanksgiving. Which is odd, I know, but … it’s their tradition.

My other parents are coming to visit us the weekend of New Year’s, and although Adam loves my family, you can bet by Sunday, Jan. 4, he will have reached Maximum In Law Capacity and will have made a significant dent in our now-meager alcohol cabinet. And he doesn’t drink, like, ever.

And with that, I hope you have a happy holiday. My Larry Bird birthday is on Thursday I mean SATURDAY, and it promises to be a good one, if only because it will be my last, if all goes well, before I have a wee sprout to help celebrate it with me. Hooray! And also, HOLY SHIT.

Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah!

PS, if you’re still interested in getting free offsets for the holidays, I did get several more after my first batch ran out — there’s a little doohicky on my sidebar for the One Day campaign. Just click on it and huzzah! Free offsets for you!

*Snow Patrol. Again, killing myself over here with the pathetic, pathetic puns. Or whatever they are. Too tired and pregnant to think.

Entry Filed under: Nuttin',Vermont

• 1. Sadie  |  December 22nd, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, weather is the stupidest topic ever, but I guess it’s one of those few universal things we can all talk about. That said, I am trying my damnedest not to be snide about the marvels and moans re: snow. I am also trying not to be snide to my southern relatives who keep whining “I am jealous, I want snow!” Yeah, come on over and shovel this foot of snow off my 60-foot-long driveway and sidewalks, and then do it again the next day, and then let’s reconvene on that topic.

In case you don’t post again before then, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

• 2. Susanna  |  December 22nd, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Greetings from Seattle! Uh, yeah. It’s about the fact that we have 27 plows for the entire fucking city. And hill grades of 15% plus, basically sheer vertical drops, the kind of which even San Francisco doesn’t even really boast of and would never EVER be allowed today. Also, the so-called snow shovels sold here are plastic. PLASTIC. And many people do not even own one. We got snow on Thursday and more each following day. This is the first day that it’s been clear. The streets are still unplowed– everywhere. Walking is a toss up between smoothly compacted snow and black ice on cleared sidewalks. When I moved here from Worcester, MA five years ago, I did so in the mistaken belief that I would never, ever dig out my car again. Ha. So, yes, we are complaining and we are driving stupidly and we don’t know how to handle it, but man alive it sucks. I remember New England snow, and, most importantly, New England efficiency with the clearing. Yes, it snows for five months of the year, but you deal with it well, UGG boots and all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, re-connected long lost sister! Good luck with the in-laws.

• 3. Sundry  |  December 22nd, 2008 at 11:39 pm

It’s kind of screech-worthy when you live somewhere where it never, ever, ever snows like this. Also, I have to point out, this is where the “unfollow” feature becomes very, very handy, because 140-character limitations practically beg for lame weather observations. In fact, I think I’m going to go post something about how I cannot BELIEVE this snow, because sorry dude, I CAN’T.

Happy holiday to you too (you know I love you, right?). We’re hoping JB’s parents make it to town; my family already couldn’t get here. Due to the — WAIT FOR IT — snow.

• 4. fairydogmother  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 3:45 am

I’m with Susanna and Sundry! A week ago or so I was hoping for a few inches of snow. Now I’m awake in the middle of the night fretting about how I’m going to try to make it to work with over a foot of snow & ice on streets that have never seen a snow plow much less been salted. The likelihood of making it down my steep ass hill with the hairpin turn at the top even with snow tires AND chains is slim to none. People the SAND TRUCK got stuck half-way up my hill over the weekend, then slid back down. And then we got 5 more inches of snow, which now has yet another crunchy layer of ice on top. And yet I’m expected to make it in to work today at not just the regular hours, but as early as I can get there. But hey, at least my boss wants me to drive safely!

• 5. JMH  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 4:06 am

hee hee! Being from the midwest, I have been amused too by the squeals of “OMG! We have had 3 days of snow! I am soo sick of it!” Especially since we deal with it from November to March (or April…)However, I feel their pain if their city is not prepared for it. That just stinks.
    It kind of reminds me of the time I was complaining to my brother (in Florida) about a horrible thunderstorm we had in the summer. He just rolled his eyes and reminded me that they have to worry about hurricanes.So I guess no matter where you are, the weather is always worse somewhere else! :)

• 6. Swistle  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 4:23 am

YES about that weather saying! My MIL says it ALL THE TIME, and she lives in a state I’ve never lived in, and I’ve lived in four other states and have heard it in EVERY SINGLE STATE.

• 7. Michelle  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 5:22 am

Happy Holidays!
    Canada is also going to have a white Christmas from coast to coast. It’s kinda nice to all be in the same boat 😉

• 8. jonniker  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 6:15 am

HAAAA. In case it wasn’t clear, I *was* giving Seattleites a break, for I truly didn’t realize how WOEFULLY UNPREPARED you guys were for snow. I didn’t know that it didn’t snow there. It’s mystifying to me, how weather works across the country. But yes. You are entitled to whine when you have NO PLOWS and BUSES DRIVING OFF OF CLIFFS.

My comments were meant towards my Canadian, Midwestern and New England brethren who seem SHOCKED by the snow! SHOCKED! AND I AM SO CONFUSED BY THIS. THIS IS WHAT WINTERS DOOOO. I mean, this is my first winter after three years in FLORIDA. And yet people seem surprised! And it’s only December! Which means if you live in the Midwest or Northeast and you’re sick of snow now, you are pretty much screwed up the hoo-ha.

• 9. Jess  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 6:34 am

I really thought that phrase about the weather originated in Seattle. At least, that’s the only city I’ve ever heard it used to describe. But apparently I’m just sheltered.

• 10. TwoBusy  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 7:33 am

Happy Birthday to you, happy drinking to Adam, and a (c)happy (c)holidays to all.

• 11. -R-  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 8:25 am

I hate that weather saying too. People used to say it about HOUSTON. Umm… no. I don’t know why it makes me angry, but it does.

Anyway, happy early birthday!

• 12. Kristabella  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 8:30 am

I am obviously not surprised by the snow or the bitter minus 30 wind chills in Chicago. But I still get to complain, right? Because it’s cold!

I do laugh at the people in the Pacific NW when they are all “the wind chill is 20! OMG!” I scoff because I would KILL for an air temperature of 20 most days! That’s downright balmy!

Our snow removal has been supremely sub-par this year because the stupid Mayor of Chicago is saving all his cash for the Olympic bid in 2016, which we will not get now on account that we’ll probably have not one, but TWO, governors in prison.

• 13. Jamie  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 8:31 am

Happy Early Birthday! I, too, cannot figure out the hysteria behind inclement weather. I think back to when I lived outside Nashville, and we’d get some freezing rain (for maybe a 2-3 hour spell at most) and the entire city would shut down. Universities were closed, classes cancelled, entire strip malls gone dark. And I, being the loyal northern Illinoisan that I am, would step outside, scrape off my car, drive to the Sonic, and think, “where the feck did everyone go?”

And then I would take advantage of the panic to get all my errands done, while everybody else within a 25-mile radius hunkered down at home, awaiting the next apocalypse/hail storm.

• 14. Mauigirl  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 8:39 am

You are so right that places like Vermont have it down to a science when it snows. When we lived up near Rochester, NY for 5 years in my long-ago youth, it snowed all the time and we never got out of school unless there was a 3-foot blizzard. If those school buses got out, you went to school. And they always did because they knew how to plow.

Here in New Jersey – which, hello, is in the area of the northeast that DOES get snow – they just don’t get their act together. It snowed 3 days ago and our streets are still paved with frozen snowy ruts. They plowed ONCE. On the weekend. Before it even stopped snowing. Then it all melted and froze up. And of course no onoe takes their car off the street when the plows go through so there are all these wavy pathways you have to meander through to even get by the heaps of snow where someone’s car was. It’s ridiculous.

• 15. Kate @ Life As I Life It  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 8:50 am

I don’t mind the snow, having grown up in Eastern WA where we got lots, but on the western side of the state, we are woefully UNprepared for it. Which in turn makes me not like the snow. And the timing of this snow is especially irritating (yes, I know it’s December!) but I was supposed to move into my new house this last week! Waaahhh! Poor me.

Anyway, Seattle and surrounding areas are seriously suffering. Like, there’s no gas at the gas stations because the gas trucks can’t make it up the hilly roads (that haven’t been cleared). So it truly is crippling the city.

Have a fabulous holiday and Happy Birthday!

• 16. H  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 9:15 am

Happy Birthday!

I live where we are very prepared for snow and cold. I don’t mind snow but I hate the bitter cold temperatures. Depending on the effort required, I often consider snowblowing and shoveling my daily workout.

• 17. Amanda  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 9:37 am

People are giving me shit about saying I really do need a 4×4 to live here, but they’re forgetting the fact that my city doesn’t have a SNOW PLOW. No one clears the roads!

But I grew up in Northern California where the weather is perpetually perfect, (annoyingly so) so this is all new to me and I LOVE it. So fun!

Thanks for the boot recommendation. This ugly boot thing is equally new to me and just as baffling.

• 18. Hollylynne  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 9:53 am

I don’t want to sound like some pampered Los Angelino complaining about nothing, but I do feel the same way you do about the snow, just in reverse. The heat kicks up here in March and gets steadily worse through to NOVEMBER. Its all fine and well at first, but by late September when its been over 110 every day for weeks the heat is NO LONGER COOL. I threaten to move to San Francisco pretty much every August.

• 19. Hillary  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 10:05 am

As a former Midwesterner and current Floridian, I envy you all the snow. And Hollylynne, AMEN. Every year in August and September — when we’re at the height of hurricane season in South Florida and the humidity is 110 percent — I threaten to move back to the snowbelt.

• 20. She Likes Purple  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 1:34 pm

I usually complain about the weather like no other just because it’s such an easy thing to complain about, but I’ realize we don’t really have much to complain about compared to, oh, every other state except Florida. It was 72 last Saturday and it’s supposed to be 72 this Friday and even though it was 31 just yesterday, that high seems easier to bear when sandwiched between highs in the 70s. Also, with those stats it is hard to deny that Texas really does try all it can to win the right to exclaim “just wait five minutes!” except from May-October when it’s ALL HOT, ALL THE TIME, KILL ME NOW.

Happy holidays to you too, Jonna. And happy early birthday to a fellow Capricorn. (You’re exactly a week before me.)

• 21. Jessica  |  December 23rd, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Man, growing up in Utah the zillion snow plows and salt trucks ensured we were never snowed in. Up here in Idaho we have twice as much snow for what feels like twice as long, yet… they don’t really care if you can’t get out of your driveway. They plow the freeways and dump this red dirt in the intersections (no salt anywhere) and call it good. People here with little cars are screwed beyond screwage.

All that said, I’m usually griping about it but this year I don’t even care. Just get this baby out.

• 22. Leane  |  December 24th, 2008 at 8:08 am

Syracuse? What about OSWEGO. Now we get even more than Syracuse..because in Oswego..one could have many days worth of Lake Effect, and the sun will be shining in Syracuse !:)

• 23. Irene  |  December 24th, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Hey!

You have a great blog! My name is Irene, and I have a little beauty community called ColorMeGorgeous.com:

I recently found your site and am very interested in exchanging links. As you know, reciprocal linking benefits both of us by raising our search rankings and generating more traffic to both of our sites. I wanted to ask if you would please post a link to my site as follows, and in exchange, I’ll post your link on my site.

Title: ColorMeGorgeous
    URL: http://www.colormegorgeous.com
    Description: An online beauty community which offers forums, monthly contests, product reviews of makeup and skincare, expert advice, and more!

Once you’ve posted the link, let me know the URL of the page that it’s on, and I will post it on my site.You can reply to me at colormegorgeous@gmail.com

Irene

• 24. barbetti  |  January 11th, 2009 at 9:32 am

Yes, Vermont. The snow really is pretty, but being that I am pregnant (my excuse for clumsiness) as well as you, I find it rather bothersome when trying to get from my front door to my car door. Especially being that we have these crazy ice storms that make that snow not so fluffy, not so pretty and more like SERIOUSLY HAZARDOUS for those of us with an off-center of gravity.

I didn’t come hear to rant. Just to say hello, as you are the only other Vermont blogger I’ve read.

• 25. credit repair vt&hellip  |  December 8th, 2009 at 9:25 pm

credit repair vt…

I wanted to commend the webmaster for running a great site….

• 26. WatersRaquel  |  April 3rd, 2010 at 11:18 am

When people want their free term papers to be correctly completed, they will need to use the great creative writing essay service, which will be a good place to buy essay online from.

• 27. Lana Hackett  |  June 20th, 2012 at 7:28 am

I feel very, very lucky and I mean that in the most earnest, uncool way possible.