Aaaaand, we’re back

March 11th, 2010

OH THAT’S RIGHT I HAVE A BLOG.

Well, ermm, where have I been? God, EVERYWHERE. We went to Boston for a day trip that turned into … a week, because things just kept going ON and ON (Adam job search stuff, yes, we may be relocating again, and just … oh whatever, it’s all long and boring), and then … well, we finally came home, but NOT BEFORE Sam and I got thrush! THRUUUUSSSSH! Have you ever had thrush? No? Let me enlighten you as to what it feels like!

First, take a chip clip or a clothespin, and pin it over your nipple — or, if you’re a gentleman, your scrotum. (This tip from Marie.) Actually, wait — first, what you do is grab some of that fiberglass insulation from your attic. The pink kind. Grind that up (with gloves on!) and smear it all over your boobs (or balls), THEN put the chip clip on. Squeeze repeatedly. Yes, again. Nope, not over yet! AGAIN.

Yessss, that is thrush. And it was complicated by the fact that my kid always sleeps like shit when we’re in the same room, so she wants to SNUGGLE and that includes being all up in my THRUSHY PARTS and … oh, man you guys. And we got rid of it! HAPPY DAY.

AND THEN IT CAME BACK. IT IS HERE NOW, LURKING LIKE A SHADOW. And now, she has a fever. A giant one. OH MY LANDS, LET IT END.

But not before my baby — my teeny, tiny, screaming baby girl — turned one.

My baby is ONE, you guys. She went from this:

She's here!

To this:

DSC_0436

Oh man, you guys. She’s such a big, pretty, smart girl. It’s insane, how it happens, isn’t it? Insane.

I’ll be back next week in full force, I promise. I missed you guys terribly.

(In the meantime, the new poll is up for next month’s book at the Book Lushes. I’m behind AGAIN, but am doing MAY next week, so, ah, will fix this! AH SWEAR.)

(Edited to add: JOIN US! It is never too late, even if you can’t read a specific month’s book, you can join the forums anytime.)

Entry Filed under: Beeber McSteebs,Book Lushes,General jackassery,Vermont,What the fuck?

• 1. Kate  |  March 11th, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Seriously?? ONE??? How did that happen?? It has NOT been a year.

But if you say so, and I guess since you’re her mother and all, you’d know, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEEBS! You’re a beautiful girl who is such a ray of sunshine. I love hearing about you and your latest adventures/achievements.

And Happy Anniversary to you Jonna, and Adam, on being parents to that sweet girl for one whole year.

• 2. Danell  |  March 11th, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Ohhhh….little Sam! Happy Birthday beautiful girl!!

One! It happened SO FAST!

• 3. KBO  |  March 12th, 2010 at 12:48 am

Hurray! You blogged!

• 4. Clip-on Case for Samsung &hellip  |  March 12th, 2010 at 1:11 am

[…] Jonniker. » Aaaaand, we're back March 12th, 2010 | Tags: Black, Case, Clipon, Gravity, Samsung, T459, White, Zebra | Category: Samsung […]

• 5. Leah  |  March 12th, 2010 at 1:27 am

God, I remember Newborn Sam like it was yesterday. How are her college applications coming along? Good, I hope.

• 6. Kader  |  March 12th, 2010 at 8:17 am

That photo combo amazes me, even though I knew full well that she had changed that much. But still. That tiny little baby became that amazing curly-haired girl. Unbelievable.
    Congratulations to all 3 of you on this monumental achievement!
    So sorry about the thrush and the fever and the thrush. This too shall pass (as my mom would say).
    So glad you’re back to your blog! I missed you!

• 7. Shelly  |  March 12th, 2010 at 9:16 am

Oh, Happy Birthday to Sam! She is so gorgeous! It does seem like the year has flown by, and I’m sure it seems even more so to you.

Thrush really sounds like it sucks. Sorry you’re going through that.

YAY for new book poll! *runs off to vote!*

• 8. danish  |  March 12th, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hi, I am a fairly new reader to your blog and have never commented. Do you have a different URL for your Book Lushes for discussions? Had trouble finding any info about it.

Have read several of the books listed and several of the books you listed last time but wasn’t sure how to proceed from there.

Thanks! And happy birthday to your big little girl!

• 9. jonniker  |  March 12th, 2010 at 11:57 am

Danish: Yes! I’m sorry! I forgot to include the link — it’s up there. Please join us!

• 10. Aunt Becky  |  March 12th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

How can she be ONE!?! NO WAY! Happy Birthday sweet girl!

• 11. Susan C  |  March 12th, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I had thrush once. ON CHRISTMAS DAY! It’s a lot of fun to go Immediate Care on a holiday with a baby, but not as great as dropping off a prescription at the only open Walgreen’s in town and being told to come back in six hours. Your description of the pain is pretty accurate. Ouch!

• 12. Deb on the Rocks  |  March 12th, 2010 at 2:52 pm

OH! Gorgeous!!!!

• 13. -R-  |  March 12th, 2010 at 2:54 pm

One year is so exciting!

I hope you guys are feeling better soon.

• 14. Jess  |  March 12th, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Possibly relocating! How curious! I want to hear ALL about that!

Happy birthday to Sam! One is SO BIG.

• 15. Sunrise, Sunset « M&hellip  |  March 12th, 2010 at 4:18 pm

[…] Sunrise, Sunset Jump to Comments I’m stealing a page from Jonniker. […]

• 16. julie  |  March 12th, 2010 at 4:22 pm

She may be 1, but she LOOKS 2. Yeesh. Happy Birthday, Samantha!

• 17. Marie Green  |  March 12th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I can’t believe, simply cannot believe, no matter how many times I see it with my own eyes, that a human can go from “newborn blob” to “upright and [nearly] walking” in only 12 months. How, how, HOW is that possible? I mean, newborn blob can’t even regulate its body temperature, focus on objects, OR stay awake long enough to fully finish a meal without having its newborn feet tickled. And Upright/walking is, well, UPRIGHT, and saying WORDS and demanding things, and has OPINIONS.

Also, thank you for the link… you should know that last night at work (I was teaching breastfeeding class, even!), the girls and I were talking about you, and how you got thrush at A YEAR, and we all had a toe-curling moment of remembrance for you. Because once you’ve experienced Glass-in-nipples, you can never talk about a sister with Glass-in-nipples w/o feeling that pain all over again.

Man, I hope you are better again.

(And happy birthday to Sam… what a great year of watching you grow, sweet girl!)

• 18. Angela  |  March 12th, 2010 at 9:10 pm

That child is NOT one. I clearly remember her being born. IT HAS NOT BEEN THAT LONG.

Sheesh, time flies.

• 19. halloweenlover  |  March 12th, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Impossible. I refuse to believe she turned one. But at least she still has the chubby cheeks!

Yes! Move to Boston!

• 20. The New Girl  |  March 13th, 2010 at 6:44 am

Oh, I’m just SO HAPPY she’s been able to hold onto THOSE CHEEKS for this long! I want to bite them. Okay. Like, you know, NIBBLE. NOM NOM.

Sorry about the thrush, yo. SORRY. I sent you a couple of @s on Twitter because OH! The Suck of the burny thrush nipples.

And I’m so afraid that we are going to be reading that Didion book (we ARE, I bet–look at the poll numbers!) because how depressing does THAT sound? *sigh*

• 21. Christine  |  March 13th, 2010 at 8:01 am

Happy Birthday Sam!

Here’s hoping the thrush leaves your systems fast! oh my.

• 22. Maggy  |  March 13th, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Happy birthday, Beebers! Has it really been a year? I don’t feel a year older, do you? I do feel a year fatter. Does that count?
    Lots of sympathy on the thrush. Blecch. I had it once with my older boy, and lo, it was awful. And would any of my doctor friends call me in a script? NOooo….

• 23. ugg boots on sale  |  November 3rd, 2011 at 2:11 am

Your web site is incredible. Your mind also are really good that i’m pretty prompted through your write-up. This is the reason When I take a look at your blog time and time again and definitely will give back from now on far too. lumber pellet With thanks.

• 24. Merilyn Emanuel  |  October 9th, 2012 at 5:28 am