A Photograph of You

October 11th, 2010

This weekend was the kind of weekend that makes you remember why you had a family in the first place. Don’t get me wrong — I’m always glad for my little family, but every weekend isn’t wine and roses, you know what I’m saying? Saturday was lazy, but Sunday we went into Boston and hit the public garden and tooled around Beacon Hill, and oh, I love my city. Have you ever been to the public garden? You should go, because it’s one of my favorite places in the whole world, and it’s shockingly pristine and stunning for a park in the middle of a city, and looks like this, even right now, smack in mid-October:

Boston: Public Garden

{Photo from Flickr member Wallyg under Creative Commons}

Sam was in high spirits and loved every minute of it, including lunch, which consisted of … ketchup. For Jesus’ sake, I have to hide the ketchup around this kid, because if it’s present, she wants a plate of ketchup, and she basically wants to drink from the bottle. Fool me, I gave her some to dip in (kid loves to dip!) and HA HA, oh my God, here, kid, have a lunch of ketchup while my fellow diners call the department of social services.

I forgot to bring the camera, of course. Genius!

Monday, we hit the pumpkin patch, and you know, I might not remember my camera, like, EVER, but at least I don’t scream at my children to “Line up on top of the pumpkins! JESSE! GET YOUR ASS OVER THERE ON THE PUMPKINS! LOOK LIKE YOU’RE HAVING FUN! STOP POUTING! SHUT UP! JESSE! JUST HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN!”

Speaking of not bringing my camera, I was absent from this space last week because I went to Vermont to visit my good friend Kate, and oh! OH! It was so lovely. I love Kate so, along with her entire family, really. Did you know Kate’s husband COOKS? Like, Kate stays home with their son (and works her ass off doing so, I hastily add) and her husband works outside the home, and when he comes home, he MAKES HER AN ENTIRE MEAL. FROM SCRATCH. Like, GOOD MEALS. DELICIOUS MEALS! From recipes I have already appropriated and made, less than a week later!

I don’t know why I’m so flabbergasted by this — perhaps because while Adam has many fine domestic qualities (he vacuums! he does the dishes EVERY NIGHT!), cooking is not one of his special skills. He makes a great egg sandwich and sure, he can do the requisite stir-fry (and did I ever tell you that when he cooks, he narrates the whole thing in a Julia Child voice?), but that’s pretty much where it ends.

The point is, I spent three days in Vermont with one of my best friends and her beautiful son, who played beautifully with my daughter (chase! they played CHASE! AND GIGGLED!) and here are the photos I took while I was there:

Beautiful, aren’t they? YES, GORGEOUS. GORGEOUS WHITE SPACE PHOTOS OF WHITE NOTHINGNESS BECAUSE I FORGOT TO TAKE MY CAMERA OUT OF MY SUITCASE.

It means so much to me that I get to spend time with Kate, even though I moved away. It’s the sign of a great friendship, I think, and we’ve consoled ourselves with the fact that though we are no longer minutes (as in, uh, 45 — it IS rural VT you know) away from one another, now we get to spend more concentrated, quality time in nice chunks. I feel very, very lucky and I mean that in the most earnest, uncool way possible.

Finally, I can’t thank you enough for your kind, thoughtful comments and emails on my post last week. I know it’s a touchy subject, but every single one of them was thoughtful, considerate and respectful. It was one of those weeks where I wished I could have sat down on the Internet all day, every day and talked about it at length with all of you. Thank you again.

Happy Tuesday!

*Depeche Mode

Entry Filed under: Beeber McSteebs,Boston!,Vermont

• 1. ABDPBT  |  October 11th, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Sounds delightful! If ti makes you feel any better, Mini does that with butter. I have to take the little butter tub away from him when he gets pancakes at a restaurant because he just sticks his finger in it and starts eating it. Plain.

• 2. Farrell  |  October 11th, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Pictures are nice for memories, but sometimes it’s just nice to live fully in the moment, you know? That too, creates memories.

• 3. Juli Ryan  |  October 11th, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I love when you mention Kate because I knew Kate in HIGH SCHOOL. She is so great.

Also MY husband cooks dinner most nights. Because he is a much better cook than me.

• 4. page  |  October 11th, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I think I need to hear about these recipes. I need something new to add to my repertoire.

Last week’s post had me in tears every time I read it, Jonna. I couldn’t ever manage to write a comment because every time I tried, I turned into a big blubbering mess. Great post, don’t want to hog the comments here going into it, but great post.

MMMM. Ketchup.

• 5. Carla Hinkle  |  October 12th, 2010 at 12:13 am

My entire experience with the Boston Public Garden is reading Make Way For Ducklings (as a child and many, many times with my own kids). It holds a very dear place in my mind … I’d love to see it someday.

• 6. Kader  |  October 12th, 2010 at 4:59 am

So, when we visit you in the Spring, and J has finally stopped taking a morning nap, we can all go to the Public Garden. Yes? I, too, love that garden and can never believe that it has remained so beautiful and true to its original incarnation. Can we take J and Sam on the swan boats?

• 7. jonniker  |  October 12th, 2010 at 7:14 am

Kate: YES. Hopefully they’ll be able to, uh, sit still that long. HA.

Carla: They have a statue, uh, set (?) that commemorates that book — a mama duck and her ducklings. It’s adorable.

Oh Page: Thank you.

• 8. H  |  October 12th, 2010 at 8:09 am

You make me want to visit Boston! I’ve never thought much about Boston, one way or the other, as a travel destination but your descriptions and your enthusiasm are drawing me there. Do you do promotional work for Boston? If not, you should!!

Sadly, I’m almost as bad as Sam with ketchup. My family thinks I’m nuts.

• 9. Suzanne  |  October 12th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I was in Boston on Sunday TOO! In the Gardens! At the duck statue!! Taking pictures!!! And if I had known even for a second you were also there I would have straight up crazy-person stalked you and your adorable ketchup loving daughter. We had such a good time, the city is beyond gorgeous this time of year.

p.s. If you want to like, steal my pictures and pretend you took them I’d be totally ok with that. My name links to my blog and there are…a lot of them.

• 10. Jen  |  October 12th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Okay, I’d really like to know what exactly they put in ketchup that makes it a toddler drug. For serious. Avery is addicted to “dip dip!” She loves it – girl can dip anything in it or eat it straight off a fork.

Also wanted to say that I loved your post last week. Sometimes you just say things so well that I have nothing intelligent to say or add so I let it be.

• 11. cheap ed hardy outlet  |  August 17th, 2011 at 5:19 am

Enjoyed quickly looking over your blog and will bookmark for future use, thanks![url=http://www.cheapedharyoutlet.com/]cheap ed hardy outlet[/url]

• 12. Burberry outlet store  |  August 17th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up.[url=http://www.burberryoutletonline-store.com/]Burberry outlet store[/url]

• 13. cheap ASICS shoes  |  August 18th, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I like this concept. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday.[url=http://www.asicsshoesusa.com/]cheap ASICS shoes[/url]

• 14. high quality watches  |  October 28th, 2011 at 4:35 am

It is rare to encounter an experienced high quality watches person in whom you might have some trust. In the world at present, nobody genuinely cares about showing others the best way in this subjecttopic. How happy I am to have found a real wonderful web-site as this. replica omega watches It’s people like you that make a real difference these days through the tips they write about.

• 15. Alton  |  February 10th, 2012 at 10:14 am

Hello excellent publish , Thank you sharing these details

• 16. Ray Ban Sunglasses  |  June 26th, 2012 at 11:33 pm

With all the economic crisis, people are searching the net and online discount watch stores for the ideal watch not to mention the perfect price tag.

• 17. Health and Fitness  |  August 30th, 2012 at 8:58 am

I would like to apI feel great to write this article, which share a lot of things, I learned a lot of knowledge from which to learn more things.

• 18. CDCD  |  September 13th, 2012 at 10:49 pm

NIKE スニーカー韓国女優イ・ミスクが総合編成チャンナイキスニーカーネルJTBCの新ドラマ「私たちが結婚できるだろうか」(原題)に出演することがわかった。12日ド

ラマ広報会社によると、10月初お目見えする「私たちが結婚できるだろうか」は4組のカップルの結婚の物語を通じて、結婚の意味を振り返る作品だという。イ・ミスクは同作品で自己主

張が強い母親トゥルジャを演じる。トゥルジャは1人で化粧品店を運営しながら2人の娘を育てたAIR

JORDAN“がむしゃらママ”で、自身の不幸な結婚生活を、娘たちを通して補償を受けようとし、周囲の人々と問題を巻き起こす。報会社は「前作『ラブレイン』ナイキ エア ジョーダン 1で悲恋のヒロインを演じたイ・ミスクが今回の作品で新しい姿を見せてくれる予定」と伝

えた。ロンドン五輪バレーボール女子で銅メダルを獲得した竹下佳江(JT)が13日、都内で行われた化粧品最大手supreme キャップ、資生堂のイベントに出席。ドレスアップして登場し「試合はすっぴんなのでこういう場は恥ずかしい」と照れた。3月にプロ野球広島の江

草仁貴投手と結婚。同居はまだというがシュプリーム キャップ「子どもは欲しい」とのろけ、去就について

は「しばらくゆっくりして答えを出したい」supreme 通販 capと明言を避けた。

• 19. plagiarismsoftware  |  January 3rd, 2013 at 11:43 pm

good quality subject , search this from blog search after that good luck for you.

• 20. Obdulia Alger  |  May 3rd, 2013 at 3:21 am